Penises and Sugar Skulls

I like to eat.  I don't like to gorge myself, but I don't like to be told what I can and cannot eat.  Of course this does not lead to a svelte figure for me, but I kind of deal with it.  Everyone  always seemed to be on a diet, or healthy eating quest, and sometimes I feel really guilty for not being so.  It's not that I won't EAT healthy; I'll eat just about anything if it tastes good.  It just stresses me out to have to count calories, or know that I can't eat something because I've "used up points for the day."  I am fortunate to have a husband who thinks this way, as well.

Yesterday, I called our Autistic son, D into the kitchen.  We had gotten a pumpkin shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's, and I wanted him to come and see it.  I asked him what it looked like, and he said "OH!  A PIZZA!" 
I said "Well, yes, but what does it look like?"  
He said "AHH! A HEART!!"  
Finally, I said "Look again, what is it?"
 His eyes glazed over, obviously not seeing anything, and said 
"AHH.  A PENIS."  
I said "Really?!  Really?! This big round thing looks like a penis to you?"  
He just gave me a blank stare.  Sometimes I get impatient with him, and probably shouldn't, but I can't even fathom how he came to the conclusion that it looked like a penis.  That reminds me of a knock knock joke he told us once.  We were all sitting around our bed laughing about something, and D interrupted and said 
"Hey Beckymom!  Knock, knock?"  
I said "Who's there?" 
He loudly proclaimed "PENIS!" That was the extent of his joke.
We all died laughing, and to this day, just say "penis" if we're trying to be funny.  

We didn't have any of our kids trick-or-treating last night.  They have finally outgrown it, I think.  The sad thing is that they still want the candy!! We didn't have any trick-or-treaters in our complex, either, which seems odd.  There are always lots of kids outside playing.  I guess the did what we used to do...go hit up the rich neighborhoods for better candy!  ;)

I wish I celebrated Dia de los Muertes.  I love sugar skulls, and I think it is a great tradition to honor those people who have passed on in our lives.  Here's to my mom, my dad, my former in-laws, my aunts and uncles, Lisa Bell, and all of the other important people in my life who died too soon.  

Thanks for wading through my gobbly-goop of a post.  All kinds of nonsense goes on in my mind constantly.





No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss