Wash Your Underwear, Cheaper!

Well, here we are again.  3:35 am in the morning, and I'm here, sitting at my computer, writing a blog.  As you might have read in the post before this, this is the point of no return for me.  I have to decide if I'm going to bed for 2 hours, or if I'm going to stick it out just go back to sleep later.  I bet you can guess what I did.

Today, I want to talk about something I've tried and loved;

Making my own laundry detergent.

We have a family of six, and with 1/2 of them being teen boys/men, and two more being teenaged girls who change A LOT,  we have a lot of dirty laundry.  We were going through at least a bottle or two of laundry detergent every week.  I finally saw some recipes on Pinterest, and gave one a try.  The hardest (if you want to call it that) part is grating the Fels-Naptha soap.  Usually, I let one of the kids do it.  I highly suggest grating it in VERY small pieces (you know, the side on your grater that has the little bitty holes? Yes, it will take longer, but yes, that's it).  Now if you're fortunate to have a food processor (LUCKY!!), then you could just put the Fels-Naptha in that, and grind it up.  Or whatever you do.  I'm not a Suzy Homemaker here, so hopefully you know what I mean.
Anyway, the batches usually last us about 4 months.  We did learn quickly, though, that you need VERY LITTLE...like a tablespoon, per load.  If you use too much, you will get little white chunks on your clothes (which is soap).  They come out with another wash (no soap), but it's a pain in the patootie, for sure.
It was easier for me to just go by the picture, so here is that:


And here is the actual list: (we shop at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets, and it's all together in the detergent aisle.  YMMV)


  • Fels Naptha bars (I've also heard of people using Zote, if you can find it)
  • 1 box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (55 oz) yes, it's different than baking soda
  • 1 box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lbs) 
  • 1 box 20 Mule Team Borax (4lbs 12oz) 
  • 1 tub Oxi-Clean Stain Remover (3 lbs) 
  • 1 or 2 Purex Crystals (28 oz) (I also saw someone used Whiffs from Scentsy, if you have access to that)




All you have to do is grate the Fels-Naptha bars as fine as you can, and then mix everything in a large bucket by hand (or a large stick if you have one).  Seriously, if you have allergies, wear a mask.  It's get's very "sneezy" while you're mixing it.  Then, separate it into whatever containers you want.  Make sure they sealed pretty tightly, though, or your detergent will harden.  


Make sure you show your washing "helpers" (yeah, as if..) that they only need a tablespoon or two of detergent.  Yes, add bleach if you use it, and of course fab softener (or vinegar). 

And there ya go.  I am going to give some out as gifts.  Here are some really cute tags you can print and use if you want to give gifts as well.  

Enjoy, y'all!

*Note: this is NOT my invention, and was found from various places on Pinterest and the interwebz! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss