Grandma Becky

My gorgeous granddaughter
Today is my granddaughter's 4th birthday.  Yes, you read that right, my granddaughter.  It's so very weird to be a grandmother, and have four teens under 18 still living in my home.  It's like two generations colliding!  No, my granddaughter does not belong to one of my teens (ptl, and over my dead body). She is the daughter of our oldest son and his wife (who also have our grandson, who will be 3 in February).  Technically, she's my step-granddaughter, but I think that's ridiculous to say, so we don't.

Becoming a grandmother at 43 was surreal to me, but as soon as I held the precious bundle, any weirdness and awkwardness disappeared.  I truly understood why grandparents have a feeling that they can't quite describe.  Since I became a grandmother, many of my friends from high school have had the pleasure as well.  It's like a private, exclusive club with a membership what should be coveted, well, when the time is right!  ;)

"S" and me, December 3, 2010
I tried to think of all kinds of cutesy "grandmother" names for them to call me, but after all that work, I just like being traditional, and "Grandma" is my name.  I honestly wouldn't care if they called me "Old Hag," as long as it's out of love!

I had a set of wonderful maternal grandparents, and a sweet-as-pie paternal grandmother.  My paternal grandfather was a bad man, however, so I will gloss over him.  I also had some wonderful
Maternal grandma, grandpa, mom, and
me (in the front).  Grandpa holding
my baby sister
step-grandparents, so I was pretty fortunate in that matter.  Unfortunately for my children, my ex's and my parents died in their 60's, so my kids have no biological grandparents left.  I can't believe how sad that is for them.  As with me, however, they have a great set of step-grandparents, who stepped up without question and treat my children like their own.  I love them for that.

Times have changed, however, since I was a child.  I visited my grandparents a few times a month, if not more. We rarely see our grandchildren, and they only live about an hour away.  This is partly our fault, and partly theirs.  Unfortunately for us, the grandkids are very close to their maternal grandparents, both figuratively and literally.  This makes it hard for us to have the same bond with them.  Also, our son and daughter in law work crazy hours, so them bringing the kids over just doesn't happen.  It makes me sad, but right now, they are circumstances we can't control.  It truly hurts my heart, though.

Sorry this turned out so "journal-ly", but that's partly the purpose of my blog.

Hey. At least I didn't get run over by a reindeer...yet... ;)

www.gottapixel.net







79b2c019dc4e76f047414c3320494a051280bf137be59fe3ba


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss